Thursday 1 August 2013

OOTD: The Graduate

When I say finding my graduation outfit took months, I'm not exaggerating. I've been searching since April for 'The One' (read: perfect outfit) and my searches had remained unfruitful until the end of June.

I was holding out for that love-at-first sight, fitting-eachother-like-a-glove moment, and I wasn't prepared to settle for anything less. Yes, I am still talking about clothes, not finding my life partner although it felt just as important!

Eventually I found the dress that you see before you today; a bright yellow pleated midi dress from Topshop. I didn't have a particular colour in mind and yellow would never have been my first choice but I love it. It fits brilliantly and is a modest but chic length. It was also such a nice contrast against the black gown. On a side note: yes, wearing the hat and gown is just as exciting as you think it would be, although I could never have predicted how much it would make me sweat!

Next were the shoes. Oh, the shoes! They were by far my greatest worry. I was plagued by nightmares of toppling in front of hundreds of people as I collected my certificate (I didn't, phew. ) Anyway, usually I'm a platform wedge-wearer but I realised that they couldn't be anything like that. Not only did I think they'd look clumpy, but I knew that the heel height coupled with a wedge would leave me open to going over on my ankle, especially without the usual help of vodka induced confidence that one gets on a night-out (I know you know what I'm talking about)! After much Cinderella-style shoe trying, I decided on these blue strappy shoes. Comfy, secure, a good height and damn right sexy - Office , you nailed it. I also know I'll definitely get more use out of them than just on this one occasion.

Finally, I stumbled across this really cool floral clutch bag in the Dorothy Perkins sale. It tied in the colours perfectly and was a steal at £10.

So there you have it, my complete graduation outfit. To all you future graduates, my advice would be... start early! If you thought your dissertation was difficult, you ain't seen nothing yet.

What do you think of the outfit? What did you/will you wear to your graduation?

Chem x

4 comments:

  1. Loveeee your outfit, you look absolutely gorgeous! I graduated recently too and it took me forever to find an outfit lol it was so stressful! x

    www.perfectlyrandomblog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thank you so much! Yeah I know, it was such a hassle but worth it in the end! Thanks for looking at my blog :) x

      Delete
  2. You look stunning , absolutely gorgeous outfit love the colours and how you spiced it up with the clutch xx

    ReplyDelete